*This service is available to Urbandale, Windsor Heights, and rural Polk County residents only. Please click here for more information…
You can now check out eBooks from WILBOR and read them on your Kindle or Kindle mobile app! Click here for instructions or visit the help section of the WILBOR website.
Please note: The Urbandale Library keeps all library patron information and circulation records confidential, including dowloaded titles from WILBOR. However, when downloading books from WILBOR through your Kindle device, you will have to create and log in to an Amazon.com account. Once logged into Amazon.com, the library is unable to guarantee the confidentiality of those items checked out from Amazon.com.
The Urbandale Public Library has expanded its WILBOR services to include eBooks available to download from the library’s website. Library card holders can check out and download eBooks anytime, anywhere by visiting http://wilbor.lib.overdrive.com/. Titles will automatically expire at the end of the 14-day lending period so you will never have a late fee!
This service, powered by OverDrive, is free for patrons with their Urbandale Library card. The WILBOR Consortium, a collaborative group of over 100 Iowa libraries, will launch eBooks with approximately 750 titles from top publishers like Random House, Hachette Book Group USA, HarperCollins, and Harlequin.
*Urbandale Library card holders also have exclusive access to the library’s advantage collection. This collection includes additional copies and other titles specifically for Urbandale Library card holders.
To take a guided tour of this service, click here.
You can check out and download the following types of digital materials from the WILBOR collection…
- Adobe® EPUB eBooks
- Adobe® PDF eBooks
To access these digital materials you need…
- A valid library card
- Internet access
- A computer or device that meets the system requirements for the type(s) of digital materials you wish to check out
Examples of compatible devices include Sony® Reader™, Barnes & Noble Nook™, iPad®, and the Amazon Kindle.
To view current supported ebook devices, click here.
- Free Adobe Digital Editions software for the computer or device on which you wish to use the materials available at this site
- Access to the WILBOR website http://wilbor.lib.overdrive.com/
To get started, just follow these easy steps:
Step 1: Install free software
As a first step, you need to download and install the free software that allows you to enjoy the eBook you are interested in.
To download Adobe eBooks, you need Adobe® Digital Editions. To download and install Adobe Digital Editions, click here.
Step 2: Activate the software
Adobe Digital Editions requires activation. After you have installed the software that you downloaded, you need to take steps to activate the software before downloading digital materials.
Adobe Digital Editions can be activated anonymously or by using an Adobe ID. Anonymous activation allows you to download and read DRM-protected eBooks on a single computer only. Activating using an Adobe ID allows you to download and read DRM-protected eBooks on multiple computers and transfer them to supported eBook devices.
For more information on activating Adobe Digital Editions, click here.
Step 3: Check out, download, and enjoy
- Browse or search this site for downloadable materials.
- When you locate a title of interest, add it to the Cart and check out the title by selecting the Urbandale Public Library and logging into your account using the 14 digit number on the back of your library card and your birthday MMDDYYYY using 8 digits.
- Once you have checked out a title, a download page is displayed. Click the ‘Download’ link to start the download.
- Once the download is complete, open and enjoy the title.
There is a limit of 3 items that can be checked out on your account. You will never accrue late fees with titles you download from this website. At the end of the 14 day loan period, titles will expire and be automatically ‘returned’ to the library. Or with eBooks, you can return books early by clicking the arrow in the upper left-hand corner of the book jacket. At this time, you can delete the expired file(s) from your computer.
For more information on the checkout process, click here.
Explore your options…
- Search for digital materials using a variety of criteria on the advanced search page. To go to the advanced search page, click here.
- Take digital materials with you on-the-go. Many eBook titles can be transferred to supported portable devices.
- If you come across a title that you are interested in checking out, you can add it to your ‘My Wish List’. For more information on your ‘My Wish List’, click here.
- If a desired title is not available, you can place it on hold. For more information on placing holds, click here.
To transfer Adobe eBooks using Adobe Digital Editions…
- Plug in your eBook device to your computer
- Open Adobe Digital Editions.
- Click on the Adobe eBook you want to transfer.
- Drag the Adobe eBook to the eBook device icon in the left pane of Adobe Digital Editions.
The ‘Copy Documents’ dialog box is displayed and the title is transferred.
When transfer is complete the ‘Copy Documents’ dialog box closes. You can now disconnect the eBook device and enjoy the eBook on-the-go.
Note that to transfer Adobe eBooks to a supported eBook device, Adobe Digital Editions and the eBook device must be activated using the same Adobe ID.
The display of Adobe eBooks on eBook devices may vary, depending on the nature of the content.