Information about Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
If an item you are seeking is not available from the Urbandale Public Library, we can often get it from another library through interlibrary loan.
The Urbandale Public Library charges $1.50 for each interlibrary loan received, whether or not it is picked up.
Many items are available for only our basic $1.50 charge, however, the lending library may charge an additional $15.00 – $25.00. Please state the maximum you are willing to pay in your request.
Guidelines for Interlibrary Loans
- You must have a valid Urbandale Public Library card to request interlibrary loans.
- Please check the library catalog to be sure that the material is not owned by the Urbandale Public Library.
- Most libraries do not lend their new materials. If the item you would like is less than one year old, please submit a purchase request instead.
- We will process up to ten requests per patron at one time. This includes requests that have already been submitted, but are not yet completed.
- Due dates for interlibrary loan materials are set by the lending library. To see if interlibrary loan materials are renewable, please call 515-331-6767.
- Interlibrary loan materials are borrowed from other libraries. Please return them on time!
- Interlibrary loan items may take weeks to arrive. If you need your item quickly, please call the library to discuss other available options.
How to submit an ILL request
Please gather as much information as possible about the item you are requesting. The more information you provide, the better our chances of finding your item.
- Year Published
- Type of material (book, audiobook, CD, DVD, etc.)
- Your name
- Your library card number
- Your email address
- Contact phone number
- Preferred way to be contacted (phone or email)
- Maximum amount you’re willing to pay to borrow item
- Date item is needed
Submit the above information via:
- Email - please make subject line: ILL Request
- Phone – 515-278-3945
- In-person – just stop by any service desk and a staff member can assist you with your request!