Teen Summer Reading Volunteers
Teens ages 12-17 are invited to apply to join our team of Summer Reading Volunteers! These volunteers will register kids for the program, award prizes, and help with special events. They also help us prepare crafts, keep the children’s area tidy, and more. They do not read to kids, check out books to patrons, or shelve books.
- Earn volunteer hours for school
- Gain valuable skills and experience for your resume or college application
- Have fun while helping out in your community!
Is this the right opportunity for me?
- I will be 12-17 years old on June 1, 2018.
- I am available to work at least one 2-hour shift a week (most weeks) between June 1 and August 4.
- I like working with other people, including talking to kids and adults.
- I am responsible and dependable, and I have a reliable way of getting to the library for my shifts.
If you can say yes to all of the above, you should definitely apply! If you have questions, see the FAQ below or email us at [email protected].
Okay, I’m interested. How can I sign up?
- Check out the Volunteer Duties and Expectations
- Fill out the Teen Volunteer Application, have your parent/guardian sign it, and turn it in by Monday, May 21. You can submit it in electronically (email Jacqueline Stolz at [email protected]) or bring it to the library’s front desk.
- If your application is approved, we will call you to ask a few follow up questions.
- After your phone interview, attend volunteer training on May 23.
- Check your email! Volunteer shifts will be sent out via email, so make sure you’re always checking!
I haven’t heard back about on my application. What’s going on?
We receive a lot of applications, and getting through them all takes time. We may not contact you before we’ve had a chance to look at all the applications, so don’t panic! If you send in an application on time, we promise to review it. Unfortunately, not all applicants are selected to be Summer Reading volunteers. We’ll let you know either way. If you aren’t selected to volunteer this year, we encourage you to apply again next summer! Here are some of the reasons we might not select you:
- Your application is missing information
- We can’t read your handwriting
- You can’t make the required time commitment
- There’s no parent/guardian signature
- We received too many awesome applications, and had to make tough decisions
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
When and where can I volunteer?
Summer Reading Volunteering runs from June 1 – August 4. Volunteers will also attend training on May 23 at 7 PM. Volunteers will work an average of 1-3 two hour shifts per week.
I’m going on vacation for a week. Can I still volunteer?
We know that volunteers will have other commitments, and that’s just fine! We do rely on our volunteers, so please let us know of any conflicts as far in advance as possible.
Can adults volunteer for summer reading?
Our Summer Reading Volunteer program is just for teens, but adults are still welcome to volunteer for the library! Learn more about the adult volunteer process here.
I’ll 11, but my birthday is soon! Can I volunteer this summer?
Maybe. Summer Reading Volunteers must be between 12 and 17 on June 1st. If that’s you, you’re welcome to apply. If not, you’ll have to wait until next summer.
I’ll 17, but my birthday is coming up. Can I still volunteer this summer?
Maybe. Teen Summer Reading Volunteers must be between 12 and 17 on June 1st. If that’s you, you’re welcome to apply. If your birthday is before June 1, you won’t be a part of our Teen Summer Volunteers, but you can still be a regular library volunteer. Click here to learn more.
I have more questions. Who can I contact?
For more information contact Jacqueline Stolz at [email protected].