Listen UP with this accessible, low tech service for kids and adults!
Call the Urbandale Public Library’s Dial-A-Story line at (515-461-6262) and follow the prompts to choose the content you would like to hear.
Need a break from screen time? We have a low tech solution!
Listen to stories anytime of day or night with our new Dial-A-Story service, no data plan or Internet access needed. This service is perfect for those without computers in the home, to homebound individuals, and those with vision difficulties.
Dial-A-Story offers a phone line you can call for pre-recorded read-alouds of children’s books and adult fiction, a listing of our upcoming events, book recommendations by library staff, writing prompts, and more! Content will be updated each month.
Parent Tip: When you listen to Miss Jacque reading aloud with Dial-A-Story, there are no pictures. But stories help us use our imaginations! Try out these activities to help build literacy and comprehension skills!
- Listen carefully to the story.
- Think about:
- Who are the characters in the story?
- What did they do?
- Why did they do those things?
- What happened first?
- What happened next?
- What happened at the end?
- Talk about the story with your parents, grandparents, babysitter, friend, pet or anyone else who is listening with you!
- Think about:
- Can you draw a picture of the characters or what happened in the story?
(Did you draw a picture? Miss Jacque would love to see! You can snap a photo of your drawing and e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org.)