Financial Literacy Challenge
April 1 – May 15, 2021
National Financial Literacy month is recognized each year in April to raise public awareness of the importance of financial literacy and maintaining smart money management habits. This spring, strengthen your financial well-being, flex your money muscles, and become “cents” savvy by taking part in the Urbandale Public Library’s six-week Financial Literacy Challenge!
About the Financial Literacy Challenge
This self-paced, online challenge is geared for ages 11 – 17 and adults. (Choose the challenge that fits you.) Participants are challenged to log their reading (minutes read per day) and boost their knowledge of budgeting saving, investing, and other financial-related topics by completing a variety of online-based activities (reading articles, watching videos, etc.)
Log at least 90 minutes of reading between April 1 – May 15 and complete 4 out of the 8 activities in order to complete the challenge!
To begin, create or log in to your Beanstack account and select the Financial Literacy Challenge for Ages 11 – 17 or for Adults.
Library Financial Literacy Resources
- For this Financial Literacy Reading Challenge can read about any topic you’d like. If you’re feeling inspired to read something that follows the financial literacy theme, here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Morningstar Investment Research Center – review investment information on more than 23,000 stocks and mutual funds plus expert advice on building and analyzing an investment portfolio.
- Standard and Poor’s Outlook – examine business and investment information and industry analysis containing stock reports, company profiles, corporation records, mutual fund reports, industry surveys, the S&P bond guide, and S&P Outlook. Also includes information on over 85,000 privately owned companies.
- Remote Access: Contact the Library to obtain the required user ID and password.
- Value Line – review stock analysis and investment research on companies, industries, markets, and economies.
- Remote Access: A valid Urbandale Public Library card is required.
- View Tutorial
Money Smart Week (April 10 – 17, 2021) is a national public education program coordinated by the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago and delivered by a network of supporters. This year, the Money Smart Week organizers are offering a week-long virtual educational campaign. Learn more.