The Library offers several programs especially for teen audiences! Teen events are intended for students ages 12-17, unless otherwise noted.
Programs & Special Events for teens
Check out our calendar for a complete list of opportunities for teens and to register. We have special teen and tween events each month like breakout rooms, coding activities, hands-on art projects with our resident artist, and more!
Fall 2019 Volunteer Opportunities for ages 12 – 17
Want to have fun while helping the library? Want to gain valuable work experience while you earn volunteer hours for Silver Cord Program? Teens and tweens ages 12 – 17 can volunteer at the Urbandale Public Library this school year!
What we’ll ask of you:
- You’ll help out at programs, clean toys, prep crafts, and assist with other projects after school (especially Wednesdays and Thursdays) and/or weekends. We’ll provide a list of available shifts, and you’ll sign up for shifts that work for you.
- All volunteers must complete an application, and volunteers ages 16-17 will be required to undergo a background check. Parents must sign both forms (background check if 16+) before volunteers can begin volunteering.
- Teens will be asked to work at least 6 hours total between September, October, and November. You will be able to choose volunteer shifts that fit your schedule from a list of available shifts.
- Teens must register for text and/or email notifications through Remind to learn about upcoming shifts and communicate with library staff. Parents may choose to receive notifications as well.
- Teens must read the duties and expectations page, and agree to uphold them to the best of their abilities.
Upcoming Orientation Sessions
New teen volunteers must attend one orientation before you are able to volunteer. We will have one to two orientations each month.
September 2019 orientation dates are Thursday, September 5th from 4:00 – 5:00 PM and Saturday, September 21st from 12:00 – 1:00 PM.