Overdue, Damaged & Lost Materials
Please use the book returns
- Book returns are located in the library’s lobby
- A 24-hour drive up book drop is available at the north end of the building
You are responsible for all items until they are checked in.
Notice of overdue materials is sent as a courtesy. Cardholders are responsible for returning materials by the due date. Check out the table of Material Loan Periods & Fees for more information on overdue fees.
- Overdue fees are charged for each day the library is open
- The card holder will be responsible for all fees on items checked out on the card
Customers cannot borrow any library materials or use the library’s computers if their fees exceed $10.00, or if materials are more than 4 weeks overdue.
Please note that the library cannot guarantee the privacy of library records when attempting to collect overdue materials.
Overdue Notice Mailing Schedule:
- 15 days overdue – 1st notice
- 29 days overdue – 2nd notice
- 43 days overdue – 3rd notice, cardholder is billed the replacement cost plust a $5.00 process fee for each item and is notified that account will be referred to a collection agency if overdue materials are not returned or replaced wtihin two weeksof the notice date.
- 58 days overdue – account is referred to a collection agency if the cardholder owes $30.00 or more in replacement costs, including processing fees. In addition, a $15.00 non-refundable collection agency fee is owed.
According to sections 808.12 and 714.5 of the Iowa Code, concealment of library materials or failure to return library materials constitutes theft.
Each person is responsible for lost materials checked out on his/her card. Refunds for the cost of the item, less the maximum fine and processing fee, are made when lost materials that have been paid for are returned to the Library – in good condition – within one month of the of payment.
Each person is responsible for the cost to repair or replace materials damaged while checked out on their card. Please report any problems to library staff. Please do not attempt to repair materials at home. Special supplies are required for mending library materials.