Teen Summer Volunteers
Want to have fun while helping the library? Want to gain valuable work experience while you earn volunteer hours for the Silver Cord Program?
Teens and tweens ages 12 – 17 can volunteer at the Urbandale Public Library this Summer 2021! Applications are due May 21st by 6:00 PM at the front desk or send via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please note: We are just seeking volunteers ages 12-17 ONLY. We are unable to accept volunteers 11 years old or younger and adult (18+) volunteer opportunities are still on hold.
What we’ll ask of you:
- Teens must read the duties and expectations document and agree to uphold them to the best of their abilities.
- All teens must complete a volunteer application, and volunteers ages 16-17 will be required to fill out a background check form. Parents must sign both forms (background check if 16+) before teens can begin volunteering.
- Teens who turn in their application will be called for a short phone interview in which they will be asked questions to assess the candidate’s demeanor, dependability, and understanding of the library’s requirements.
- Teens will be asked to work at least 12 hours total between June and July, usually not more than 4 hours in one week. Teens who have more availability and perform their duties in a positive manner may have the opportunity to be scheduled more than 12 hours over the summer.
- We’ll work around your other summer commitments and plans if you provide an accurate list of times you are available. However, if you have very narrow availability, it may be difficult for us to work you into the schedule.
- Teens must register for text and/or email notifications through Remind (https://www.remind.com/join/beack7) to learn about upcoming shifts and communicate with library staff. Parents may choose to receive notifications as well.
- Teens will be required to wear masks and social distance (whenever possible) in accordance with library, city, and state policies, which reflect CDC and other expert guidance.
- Some volunteer tasks will include helping out at programs, hand out Summer Reading prizes, clean toys, prep crafts, and assist with other projects.
Application Due Date
All applications must be received by Friday, May 21st at 6:00 PM. Turn them in at the library front desk, or e-mail to email@example.com.
Upcoming Training Sessions
Teen volunteers must attend one training session before you are able to volunteer. Choose to attend either Thursday, May 27 at 5:30 PM or Saturday, May 29 at 1:00 PM. Training will last 45 minutes to an hour.