Update on Library Services, Reopening
Please continue to monitor this page for updates as we work to expand our services and access to the rest of our facility.
URGENT: Effective July 1st, we have suspended Lobby Service until further notice. For current services click here.
We’re working hard on our plans to reopen our facility and resume our full range of services. Like many organizations, our reopening will happen in phases over the next few months – and you can expect some things may look a little different going forward. We appreciate your patience as we strive to deliver the best service possible while taking the precautions necessary to keep everyone healthy and safe!
Phase 1 – Lobby Service, Updated Hours
Starting Monday, June 15, we will open our lobby area for a limited number of services, including:
- Item returns
- Holds pickup
- Printing pickup
- Browsing of new items and other thematic displays
- Check out materials via self-check
- Public computers (by appointment only, 40-minute time limit)
- New library card applications, card renewals, and replacement cards
You can find more details about these available services in the Overview section.
At this time we will not be offering:
- Access to the main areas of the building
- Meeting, conference, or study room access
- In-person payments for fines, other fees
- Vending machines
- In-person programs and events (online programs are available)
- Faxing, copying, or notary service
- Book sale items
- Shared items such as magazines, newspapers, and children’s toys
- Summer reading prize pickup
Curbside pickup will continue, with updated hours of availability (see hours below).
Please note: the Library will be closed Friday, July 3 through Sunday, July 5.
Monday – Friday: 10:00 am – noon & 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
Sunday: 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Monday – Friday: 9:00 am – 10:00 am & 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am – 10:00 am
Sunday: 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm
Monday-Friday: 9:00 am – 5:30 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
Sunday: 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
515-278-3945, opt. 1
- The library will be closed each weekday between 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm so our staff can clean the public areas.
- Please reserve the first hour of lobby service for those at a higher risk for COVID-19.
Phase 1 Overview
Holds Pickup Process, Checking Out Materials
During Phase 1 of our reopening plan, you have the option of picking up your holds through our curbside service or inside our lobby. You will be required to use our self-check station to check out items you pick up in the lobby, so please be sure to bring your library card. If you are picking up items for other members of your household, please be sure to bring the library cards for any accounts that have items being held.
We have expanded the items available for checkout to include STEAM kits, Adventure backpacks, cake pans, and fitness kits. Puppets cannot be checked out at this time.
Our standard checkout/loan periods will apply to any items you check out. To review our standard loan periods for items, click here.
You can renew items through the catalog or by phone (as long as there are no holds on the items).
You may return items in the indoor book returns during our lobby service hours. You may also return materials via the outdoor book drops at the north end of the building or at our book return located outside of Webster Elementary School (12955 Aurora Avenue). If you have been waiting to return items until the due date, you may now return those items at your convenience.
How to Place Items on Hold for Lobby or Curbside Pickup
- Use your library card to place a hold on up to five (5) items on your account through the library’s catalog.
- You will receive a notice when your requested items are ready. If you want to pick up the items in the lobby, no further action is needed. If you want to schedule curbside pickup, complete the UPL Holds Pickup Appointment Signup form to schedule a time to pick up your items. Please note hours of availability listed above.
New Books and Other Browsing Material
Small displays of new items and other materials will be available for you to browse and check out during lobby service. To help us serve as many people as possible, please be mindful of others that are waiting in line behind you and make your selections quickly.
Questions? Visit our FAQ page.