Sensory Spaces are Metro area libraries offering special hours for members of the public who appreciate a sensory-friendly environment.
Please contact each location to find out what will be offered at that library.
Check out upcoming Sensory Spaces at Urbandale Public Library
Watch our social story for a visual aid of what to expect at the library.
Sunday, February 26, drop-in 11 AM-12 PM
Registration is encouraged to help us plan but is not required.
What are some of the things you can expect at this Sensory Spaces event?
- The library will have ear plugs and ear coverings, gloves, and more available for those who experience sensory defensiveness.
- The lighting will be reduced throughout the library and there will be areas set up for noise and quiet.
- Adults and teens can take a break and use the ICN Room for coloring, games, and puzzles. (Kids and families interested in coloring and puzzles will be able to find these things available in the Youth Play Area anytime the library is open, including during this event.)
- As always our friendly staff will be on hand to answer questions and help you utilize any of the regular resources that we offer including using a computer, checking out material, and more in an environment that is safe for sensory needs.
- A therapy animal will be available for attendees to take a moment to socialize with.
- Miss Jacque will host a drop-in Sensory Storytime in Meeting Room B that will repeat throughout the hour.
What can I expect at Sensory Storytime?
- Join us for a small group storytime aimed at listeners who experience sensory processing challenges. Participants are invited to engage in as little or as much stimulation as desired! We will share interactive books, rhymes, and songs complete with sensory input items like scarves, shakers, and more. We will also use a visual schedule to let young learners know what will happen during the Storytime.
- This program will last approximately 20 -25 minutes and will be repeated after it’s finished. Learners are invited to drop by or leave at any time that is convenient during the program.
- Yoga mats will be provided for each family to sit on together, although we certainly do not mind if children stand and move around the room at any point. Fidget toys are welcome, and we will have some on hand for you to use.
- Caregivers should plan on attending and helping little ones to engage, feel comfortable, and enjoy early literacy.
- Target age: 2-7 years old, with an adult. Our age recommendations tell you the developmental level we plan for, but everyone is different. Feel free to try them out and choose the story time(s) that feel right. Everyone is welcome!
Sunday, May 21, drop-in 5-6 PM
Details to come
Sensory Spaces 2023 Schedule:
|Sunday, January 29||1-2 PM||West Des Moines Public Library|
|Saturday, February 4||4-5 PM||Waukee Public Library|
|Sunday, February 26||11 AM-12 PM||Urbandale Public Library|
|Sunday, March 5||1-2 PM||West Des Moines Public Library|
|Sunday, March 12||12-1 PM||Johnston Public Library|
|Sunday, April 2||12-1 PM||Johnston Public Library|
|Saturday, April 29||9-10 AM||Grimes Public Library|
|Friday, May 12||9-10 AM||Grimes Public Library|
|Sunday, May 21||5-6 PM||Urbandale Public Library|
|Saturday, June 3||4-5 PM||Waukee Public Library|