Sensory Spaces are Metro area libraries offering special hours for members of the public who appreciate a sensory-friendly environment.
Please contact each location to find out what will be offered at that library. (Schedule at bottom of the page.)
Check out upcoming Sensory Spaces at Urbandale Public Library
Sensory Spaces Winter/ Spring 2024 Calendar to be announced soon!
Watch our social story for a visual aid of what to expect at the library.
What are some of the things you can expect at our Sensory Spaces events?
- The library will have ear plugs, ear coverings, and more available for those who experience sensory defensiveness.
- The lighting will be reduced throughout the library and there will be areas for noise and quiet.
- A therapy animal will be available for attendees to take a moment to socialize with in the Magazine/ Reading Room.
- In Meeting Room A organizations serving as critical supports in our community have been invited to attend the event to share information regarding their services.
- Adults and teens can take a break in the Teen Area for coloring, games, and puzzles.
- As always our friendly staff will be on hand to answer questions and help you utilize any of the regular resources that we offer including using a computer, checking out material, and more in an environment that is safe for sensory needs.
Sensory Spaces 2023 Schedule:
|Sunday, September 10||5-6 PM||Urbandale Public Library|
|Saturday, September 30||9-10 AM||Grimes Public Library|
|Saturday, October 7||4-5 PM||Waukee Public Library|
|Sunday, October 8||1-2 PM||West Des Moines Public Library|
|Sunday, November 5||12-1 PM||Urbandale Public Library|
|Sunday, December 3||1-2 PM||West Des Moines Public Library|
|Saturday, December 9||4-6 PM||Waukee Public Library|