Summer Reading Program
The annual Summer Reading Challenge for kids, teens, and adults will run from June 1 – August 1, 2023!
This year’s theme, “Find Your Voice,” highlights that our voices have power. We use our voices to share stories, express ourselves, and spark change. Our voices include not only the sounds we make, but the words we write, the art we create, the movements we perform, and the actions we take each day to impact our world.
Storytime in the Parks will run June 13-August 10 and is sponsored by the Urbandale Public Library and Parks & Rec Department. Stop in the library to pick up a Parks Passport with this year’s schedule and see if you can visit all the parks!
Make reading a daily habit this summer by recording the days you read during our challenge. Between June 1 – August 1, all ages are encouraged to record at least 15 days of reading to earn mid-point prizes. Everyone that continues tracking to reach 30 days will complete the challenge and earn more prizes!
How to Participate
Track your reading with a paper log or online with Beanstack!
- Online: Beanstack can be used on a browser or through their app. Register at urbandalelibrary.beanstack.org to create your account. You do not need to create a new account if you already have one from our previous summer, winter, or spring reading programs. (Can’t remember your Beanstack password? Click here. Not sure of your Beanstack username? Click here.)
- Paper: If you would prefer to fill out a paper log, you can pick one up from the library (starting May 30) or download a copy below:
Track every day you read between June 1 – August 1. How long you read each day is up to you. (Read 10 minutes, or 2 hours, the choice is yours!) You can read whatever you’d like. Books, e-books, magazines, and comic books all count – and so does listening to an audiobook or being read to.
Earn prizes! Youth (0-17) earn a free book and an entry in the grand prize drawings at 15 and 30 days of reading. Adults (18+) earn a Book Sale Voucher and an entry in the grand prize drawings at 15 and 30 days of reading. (Click here to see what cool grand prizes you can win!)
How to Claim Prizes
Youth (ages 0-17) can earn up to six mini-badge buttons to wear or accessorize as they please! (Magnet badges will be available for those too young for pins.)
You will earn a mini-badge each time you log 5 days of reading! Because we are challenging you to read for at least 30 days this summer, you can collect up to 6 badges. Each badge features a different endangered animal. Please note that the first day to collect badges will be June 15.
Mid-point Prizes (Congrats you tracked 15 days of reading!)
Starting June 15, mid-point prizes and mini-badges will be available to pick up.
- Youth (ages 0-17) go to the Youth Area and fill out a small form (this will be your first entry for grand prizes). Then select a free book as your mid-point prize.
- Adults (ages 18+) go to the Front Desk and let the staff person know you are ready to pick up a Book Sale Voucher as your mid-point prize. Adults also earn an entry in the grand prize drawings. (Those that use Beanstack can redeem their entry/ ticket through the app. Those that use a paper log will need to go to the Front Desk and fill out a small form- this will be your first entry for grand prizes.)
Completion Prizes (Congrats you completed the challenge and tracked 30 days of reading!)
June 30 is the first day the Summer Reading Challenge can be completed.
- Youth (ages 0-17) go to the Youth Area and fill out a small form (this will be your second entry for grand prizes). Then select a free book as your completion prize.
- Adults (ages 18+) go to the Front Desk and let the staff person know you are ready to pick up a Book Sale Voucher as your completion prize. Adults also earn an entry in the grand prize drawings. (Those that use Beanstack can redeem their entry/ ticket through the app. Those that use a paper log will need to go to the Front Desk and fill out a small form- this will be your second entry for grand prizes.)
Adults that use Beanstack can complete Activity Badges to earn extra grand prize ticket entries!
Complete optional activity badges to earn up to 4 more tickets to put toward any of the grand prize drawings of your choosing. Tickets are redeemed through Beanstack. Unsure how to redeem tickets? Click here to learn more.
*One of the Adult Grand Prizes is a festival ticket for an event happening at the beginning of August. The deadline to enter into that drawing is Sunday, July 16 and the winner will be contacted on Monday, July 17. All other grand prizes will be drawn after the conclusion of the Summer Reading Program in August.
The Summer Reading Challenge officially ends on August 1 and adults that use Beanstack must redeem their tickets by that time as the challenge will close and will not allow late submissions. A short grace period will be given to youth that used Beanstack and all ages that used paper logs to come into the library to fill out their grand prize entry forms by August 13. The final day all prizes will be available for pick up is August 31. (Click here to see grand prizes.)
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for youth and email@example.com for adult questions. We’ll get back to you as soon as possible!
Continue to page 2 for Grand Prizes