The Urbandale Public Library has been part of the City of Urbandale since 1961. As our city has grown, so has the demand for our services – so much so, that over the years, the Library has called four different locations around the city home. Since 2000, you can find us nestled within the beautiful City of Urbandale campus bordered by Walker Johnston Park.
The Urbandale Public Library is committed to providing diverse resources for life-long learning and enjoyment.
2021 Holiday Closures
- New Year’s Day– Friday, January 1, 2021
- Staff In Service– Wednesday, January 13, 2021
- Easter– Sunday, April 4, 2021
- Mother’s Day– Sunday, May 9, 2021
- Memorial Day- Sunday & Monday, May 30-31, 2021
- Father’s Day- Sunday, June 20, 2021
- Independence Day- Sunday & Monday, July 4-5, 2021
- Labor Day- Sunday & Monday, September 5-6, 2021
- Day before Thanksgiving, close at 5 pm- Wednesday, November 24, 2021
- Thanksgiving- Thursday & Friday, November 25-26, 2021
- Christmas Eve- Friday, December 24, 2021
- Christmas Day- Saturday & Sunday, December 25-26, 2021
- New Year’s Eve, close at 5 pm- Friday, December 31, 2021
- New Year’s Day- Saturday, January 1, 2022
Our Leadership and Service Area
The Urbandale Public Library is owned by the City of Urbandale and governed by a seven member Board of Trustees. We serve not only the residents of Urbandale, but the surrounding Des Moines metro area as well as contracting cities within the state of Iowa.
A Community Destination
Our current 56,000 square-foot building houses a variety of print and non-print materials for research and entertainment. Besides our vast collection, the Library is also a key resource for groups, small businesses, and individuals who need access to computers, photocopiers, meeting rooms, and study areas. Our extensive programming informs, educates, and entertains audiences of all ages and interests. In 2018, we drew in over 300,000 visitors and offered over 900 programs for children, teens, and adults with more than 29,000 attendees.
We’re proud to have been voted the 2019 Best Local Library by Cityview magazine!
In 2016, the Library adopted a new logo. This new design features our initials and an upward arrow (which can also be interpreted as representing the roof or the top of the Library building). We believe this sense of upward movement reflects our core values centered on lifelong learning, serving our community, and strengthening lives. Paired with our tagline, “It’s Your Place,” we believe this new logo conveys the message that the Urbandale Public Library is for everyone and has a positive impact on all who use our resources and services. Throughout our website, in our building, and in our other communications you will see an emphasis on the word, “UP” to remind you of this message!
Remember – It’s Your Place
Whether you’ve always lived in this area, recently moved, or are just visiting, we encourage you to stop by the library to experience everything we have to offer.
We hope to see you here soon!