Library Card Information
To register for an Urbandale Public Library card, please click here.
Getting Your Library Card
Standard cards are free of charge if you:
- Live in Urbandale or other contracting communities.
- Provide proof of current address, date of birth, and show photo ID.
- Are 5 years of age or older – Parent/guardian must sign the library card for children under age 14.
Computer use only cards and subscription cards are also available. Please review our Library Cards Policy for more details.
Using your Library Card
- Check-out – You must present your card (or photo ID) to borrow materials.
- Card renewals – Standard cards are valid for 2 years and can be renewed with proof of current address as long as there are no outstanding fines or fees.
- Lost card – Notify the library if your card is lost, stolen, or found. There is a $1.00 fee for replacement of a card.
- Responsibility – You are responsible for all fees and materials checked out with your library card. Parents and legal guardians are financially responsible for the use of cards issued to children under 18 years of age.
- Renewing – Materials may be renewed twice online, by phone, or in person unless the item is on hold for another customer.
- Returning – Items should be placed in the book returns in the lobby, the 24-hour drive up book return located at the north end of the library building, or outside Webster Elementary School (12955 Aurora Avenue).
- Overdue – You will be restricted from borrowing materials or using library computers if your fees reach $10.00, or if materials are more than 6 weeks overdue.
- Confidentiality – Your UPL customer information and circulation records are confidential.
Click here to watch a brief tutorial on managing your library account.