Income Tax Resources
We’ve compiled a variety of resources to help you prepare for tax season!
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Offering Virtual Service Only
In past years, AARP Tax-Aide has used the Urbandale Public Library as a location for their tax preparation services. AARP Tax-Aide will not be offering in-person assistance at the library at this time. Instead, they will offer virtual-only assistance you can receive from home starting February 15, 2021.
How AARP Tax-Aide Virtual Service Works
- Call 515-992-6123 to set up an appointment for virtual tax service. Please leave your name and call-back information so that an AARP tax-aide volunteer can get back to you.
- The AARP Tax-Aide volunteer will provide instructions for scanning and sending your tax documents via email.
- Once your documents are received, an AARP Tax-Aide volunteer will communicate with you using Google Meet (an online video conferencing application similar to Zoom, Skype, and WebEX). A dial-in option is available for individuals without video call capabilities.
- After a satisfactory review of the returns with you, your information will be sent back to you via a secure file-share process.
The phone number to discuss your situation and to set up an appointment for virtual tax preparation is 515-992-6123. Please do not call the Urbandale Public Library; we are unable to provide tax assistance or take messages for the AARP Tax-Aide Foundation volunteers.
For up-to-date information on AARP Tax-Aide site re-openings and more detailed information, visit https://www.iowataxaide.org/taxpayer-information.
Need access to a scanner? The Urbandale Public Library has a self-service scanner available in Meeting Room A/B during daily public access computer hours. Other local libraries that provide scanning:
- Johnston Public Library: by appointment
- West Des Moines Public Library: during walk-in service hours
- Des Moines Public Library: during ‘DMPL Express’ hours at each branch (https://dmpl.org/reopen)
Other Community Tax Resources
United Way of Central Iowa is offering the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) service at their Des Moines office. For more information, visit (https://www.unitedwaydm.org/vita)
The Iowa Center for Economic Success is offering virtual-only VITA service. No in-person appointments, drop offs, or face-to-face meetings will be conducted from this site. For more information visit https://theiowacenter.org/.
Next page: Federal and State Tax Forms, Other Information