Want to have fun while helping the library? Want to gain valuable work experience while you earn volunteer hours for the Silver Cord Program?
Teens and tweens ages 12 – 17 can volunteer at the Urbandale Public Library this 2021-2022 school year! Applications are due October 20 by Library close at 8:30 PM at the front desk, or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please note: We are just seeking volunteers ages 12-17 ONLY. We are unable to accept volunteers 11 years old or younger and adult (18+) volunteer opportunities are still on hold.
What we’ll ask of you:
- Teens must read the duties and expectations document and agree to uphold them to the best of their abilities.
- All teens must complete a volunteer application, and volunteers ages 16-17 will be required to fill out a background check form. Parents must sign both forms (background check if 16+) before teens can begin volunteering.
- Teens who turn in their application will be called for a short phone interview in which they will be asked questions to assess the candidate’s demeanor, dependability, and understanding of the library’s requirements.
- Teens will be asked to work at least 6 hours total per quarter (November, December, January and February, March, April)
- Teens must register for text and / or email notifications through Remind (https://www.remind.com/join/beack7) to learn about upcoming shifts and communicate with library staff. Parents may choose to receive notifications as well.
- We will send out a Google Form with available shifts. You choose the ones you want to work. Many, but not all shifts will be after school on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons, or for Thursday evening or Saturday afternoon programs.
- Teens will be required to wear masks and social distance (whenever possible) in accordance with library, city, and state policies, which reflect CDC and other expert guidance.
- Some volunteer tasks will include helping out at programs, cleaning toys, prepping crafts, and assisting with other projects.
Application Due Date
All applications must be received by Wednesday, October 20, 2021. Turn them in at the library front desk, or e-mail to email@example.com. We are only able to manage 20 volunteers each session, so make sure to return your application in a timely manner.
Upcoming Training Sessions
Teen volunteers must attend one training session before you are able to volunteer. Choose to attend either Thursday, November 4 at 4:30 PM or Saturday November 6 at 1:00 PM. Training will last 45 minutes to an hour.